Whole-Wheat Gingerbread Buttons
By Kelly Francis, Registered Dietitian
Baking margarine, 125 grams
Soft brown sugar, ½ cup
Ground ginger, 2 teaspoons
Baking soda, 1 teaspoon
Mixed spice cinnamon, 1 ½ teaspoons
Salt, ¼ teaspoon
Molasses, ¼ cup
Cake flour, 1 ¾ cups
Nutty wheat flour, 1 cup
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
2. Cover a baking tray with baking paper and spray lightly with non-stick spray.
3. Cream the margarine and the sugar until well combined and cream in colour.
4. Continue mixing while adding ginger, baking soda, mixed spice and salt.
5. Scrape down the sides of the bowl before adding the molasses and the egg.
6. Add the flour and mix to combine
7. Bring the mixture together in a ball and chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
8. Roll the mixture it balls and flatten to form a button shape the size of a milk bottle top.
9. Using a lid smaller than the round dough shapes, press a circular line into the dough, forming a rim as found on buttons.
10. Using a kebab stick, poke two holes in the center of each biscuit to finish off the button look
11. Bake the buttons for 10 – 12 minutes until golden and slightly firm.
12. Allow to cool on a baking tray.